Wednesday, July 05, 2006

a day late and a dollar short

Richard, our ezFolk guru, some time ago started a patriotic song project on the ezFolk forums to coincide with the approach of the Fourth of July. My contribution is late, as usual.

I knew that I wanted to do something with Woody Guthrie's This Land Is Your Land.

I also knew this:


"The anthem of unity and beauty which so many children learned in school was actually written in response to the equally reverenced "God Bless America". ... Woody was infuriated with the lack of realism and the message of complacency in this song which infiltrated the nation's air waves. In response, he wrote "God Blessed America For Me" which later became "This Land Is Your Land"."

So I endeavoured to create a sort of a medley:

It took me awhile to put it together and teach it to myself. I still can't play it all the way through without a noticeable mistake.

It's a day late; it's a dollar short; it's crude, but here it is:

This Land Is Your Land / God Bless America



No comments: